Monday, January 24, 2011

When in Mongolia...

I have now been in Mongolia for 231 days. I'm not sure if assimilation has a feeling, but I think there are certainly indicators. For instance, I have had very strong indications such as dreaming in Mongolian, half of which I still don't understand. I've also had more subtle indications like hearing Mongolian associated terms in song lyrics ("I'm going to the Gobi" or "...everyone was wearing a del.")

But I think beyond dreams and audial hallucinations, I have more concrete and real indications. For instance I have come to except the fact that my Monday afternoon teachers lesson/ meeting will always be pre-empted by something else. I suppose making my teachers explain to me the excuse every week in English is a productive, if not first-choice, alternative. Or 50% of the time one of our town's three ATMs will be broken, usually the one I go to first.

What's even more amazing is the stride that things are taken with by Mongolians. They have a pace that is still at times a mystery to me. They all seem to have a clear idea of when it is ok to be late, and when it is not. I generally show up to things at the appointed times, only to have to wait half an hour before I have any company. At the same time, I have shown up 15 minutes late to a meeting and been the very last person. So much for Western punctuality.

But it's almost as if Mongolians have some sort of internal clock that distinguishes tasks that require urgency, and those that don't. Maybe by this time next January, I will have mastered Mongolian Standard Time myself, until then I'll just have to continue hurrying up to wait.

No comments: