Saturday, January 8, 2011

How do they do it?


I have found myself to be a little busier this semester than last semester. It is a good thing. The only bad side to it is that I now have to schedule in time for me to bake because some nights it's hard to muster up the energy to bake something once I've come home to a 20 degree ger, cleaned out the stove, got a nice fire going, cleaning the mess off the floor (from dung dust, coal dust, ash, soot, etc.). Yes, I know I need to bake to eat food and food equals energy--but when you're hungry you will eat anything...Man I miss my crock-potting days. Heck, I miss my microwaving days.

Justin and I used to have a microwave here in our ger. But during one visit from his school Director a couple months ago she asked why we had two ovens. We told her that one was a microwave and she said 'yes, why do you have two ovens?'...so days later a school worker showed up at our ger and took our microwave away because we didn't need 'two ovens'. Maybe she thought she was clearing out unnecessary items from our small ger to give us more space, or maybe she thought we were spoiled? I don't know. But I do know this: We do not have a microwave.

Now onto our stove. This stove never really was ours. It's our neighbors' that we've been 'borrowing'. It's been in our ger for about 90% of the time we've been here. However, there are days when they come and ask to use it...then the next day we ask for it back. Well, this week we have been without our stove. It has proven to be rather difficult. I don't know how other PCVs do it! How can you eat without a stove or a microwave?! Justin and I were able to survive like this the first two weeks we lived in Mandalgovi, but I can't even remember how we survived that long. (I do remember we made a pretty awesome pizza in our skillet, believe it or not-- I was really impressed with that). Anyway, I know it is possible, but it is not ideal. How can we survive without my yummy rolls, cinnamon rolls, biscuits, cookies, baked chicken? Well, more importantly-- WHAT WILL I DO WITH ALL MY TIME? Baking was really my escape.

Tsagaan Sar is coming up. It IS the biggest holiday in Mongolia by far. This is their celebration for the lunar New Year and I know our neighbors will be wanting their oven for preparation (they really plan ahead. Tsagaan Sar is Feb 3rd this year and people are starting to make Buuz on January 20. They make thousands of buuz. I'm not even kidding you...each family makes about 2,000 buuz).
Here are some buuz:


So to buy an oven, or not to buy an oven? 250,000 tgs is a lot of money. This is the debate right now in the Newberry Ger.

No comments: