Monday, January 17, 2011

Frozen things

1. my nose
2. my fingers
3. my toes

Just kidding (kinda). Here are some pictures of some real frozen things:



So here's a funny story. Last night Justin and I were picking up a few items at this one store. There were many people there and the woman behind the counter was really busy, so Justin and I looked around at what they had while we waited. And. I. Found. Beans!!!! Dried red beans and black beans! I was starting to think that Mandalgovi was turning into a mini UB because we can now find chicken and tuna regularly here. It was finally our turn to be served and we asked for 1 kilo of the red beans and the lady said 'shish bish'--that they weren't beans. But I was pretty sure they were beans, I mean I was looking right at them. So I said, 'fine, half a kilo then'. Happy to have my beans, I watch the lady pour half a kilo into a bag on the scale, and as the beans fell from one bag to the other I then saw that they were 'shish bish'. They were not beans but candied peanuts. Trickster peanuts.


By the way, I did ask my teachers what they did when they wanted to relax. I set the tone for them and was like 'on days when you've just worked so much, you're tired and just want to unwind, what do Mongolian women do?' It was silent for a couple of seconds then one brave Mongolian said 'Cry'.

2 comments:

Mom said...

Haha! that was funny ! all of it ! I suppose you have gotten used to frozen nose hairs ?

Ashlie Newberry said...

yeah, frozen nose hairs are a norm here. But I'm sure you experienced some of that with your Mongolian weather in SD??

Also I have icicles form on my eyelashes regularly :)