Sunday, January 23, 2011

Military Concert



On Thursday night Justin and I were given tickets to watch a traveling Military Concert. This was the first time that they have come to our town of Mandalgovi. It was a big event. There was a lot of singing, dancing, playing instruments and even a magic show.

We were late to the event so we did not have seats. We stood in the back and watched the performances. They did a great job. One thing I have to say about Mongolian concerts is that they are all very similar. The same traditional songs are sung, same dance routines are danced and same intrumentals are played at every concert. Everything is beautiful, but I find it interesting that there isn't a lot of individualism when it comes to the arts.

When we walked in (late) I noticed a lot of heads were turned and more interested in why two white people were in their local theater than in the performances. It was oversold. There were kids sitting on the walls separating the seats and aisle. I liked watching the audience and feeling how far away I am from what I am used to in the states. It was just a really neat experience. Unfortunately we left the concert earily because my feet were KILLING me! We walked about a mile to the theater and I had heels on (I had been wearing them all day), then not being able to sit in the theater didn't help.

Here are some highlights from the concert: A man playing the Murin Khuur and a woman singing a Mongolian traditional song.


1 comment:

Mom said...

I like the stage effects