Saturday, January 29, 2011

I found my dream home!


...and no it isn't a ger, nor is it in Mongolia (though that ger is a pretty shwanky ger!). If you know me then you know I am passionate about teaching. But if you know me WELL then you know how passionate I am about design. I have been an HGTV follower since I was in grade school. I have been dreaming of my dream home since I can't even remember. (Actually I remember very distinctly in 6th grade making a 6 page blueprint of my dream home... I still have it somewhere in a box in South Dakota.) I would LOVE to build my own home, but I just can't see myself doing that if there are perfectly good houses already built. I don't want to contribute to America's over-building. My dream now is to find a nice small run-down cottage with character somewhere and fix it up completely! I would customize every inch. I have saved pages and pages of fabrics I will want to use someday, paint colors, fixtures, furniture, etc.

Well, if you haven't found out by now-- PCVs have a lot of time on their hands. We do good work here. We're there for our teachers, our counter-parts, our students, we put in a lot of work and detail to lesson plans and activities, we mingle with co-workers after school hours to build relationships, we delegate assignments, and do many different assigments ourselves-- yet we still have time to kill. We don't have a tv, but we have plenty of books and the internet. So in our free time we are usually doing one or the other. And in my free time on the internet, I house hunt and research design. Yesterday I came across a real gem. I don't think I'll be able to find a house better than this one in a small town in north Texas. It's a got all the character I could dream of, including being a state historical marker. I doubt it will be on the market in another year and half for me to steal--but it gives me something to dream about. When I run long distances I keep my mind busy by designing homes. I find myself doing that here at night to help me fall asleep. We all have our obsessions. Mine is owning my perfect home.

Today is my sister's birthday! I hope you have a great day, Dora!

5 comments:

Rhett and Dora said...

You knew I would be checking your blog like I do every morning! I love ya sis. I feel special getting a shout out all the way from Mongolia! Now I am famous! I can't wait to take a trip and visit you in your new dream home! I can imagine us sipping some lemonade on your front porch swing and chatting while the sun sets and it will be warm! We will both be starting new adventures in the summer of 2012! I don't know where we will end up but we will have to schedule a visit! Never stop dreaming, it keeps me going too! :)

Ashlie Newberry said...

Go south!! Follow the sun. If you want to end up closer to Rhett's parents Justin and I would appreciate it..giving us more of a reason to visit the beautiful Smokies. You're welcome to my home anytime. Home squeezed lemonade and homemade buscuits and gravy always.

Randolph Coleson said...

Hmmm... now that I think about it, customizing a run-down cottage is also not a bad idea. After all, all you have to do is beautify it the way you want it. And I'm also amazed that you still remember when you first dreamed about your dream house.

Ashlie Newberry said...

That is all I want. Most people grow up and dream bigger-- but mine is a simple cottage that is me. I say simple--but it's going to be extravagantly simple! Every nook creatively utilized and unique. When I design hunt, I still visualize my 6 page blue prints my 12 year old self made and tweak it just a bit more.

Thanks for reading and commenting!!

Anonymous said...

I visit each day some websites and blogs to read posts,
however this website presents feature based content.


my webpage: where To get saffron extract