Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Hands say it all


Living in a ger is dirty work. Not only do you constantly smell like smoke (which I hate), your home is never clean (because of ash, soot, coal dust, etc), and your hands are ALWAY dirty. Running water is a novelty. I have to say that I don't wash my hands as much as I did in the states because we don't have running water-- but I do wash them, it's just that I wash them just to get them dirty again. I need to try to clean my dirt-stained hands. Yesterday a teacher took my hands and examined them closely-- under the nail and everything. Then she said "her nails are short because if they were long they would be dirty". I wiped my brow and let out a sigh having known that I passed a clean check. But today I kept my hands hidden because they are so dirty. And it's not that I don't wash my hands, it's just that the dirt gets under the skin and when your hands look dry and ashy already, dirt stains just stand out more. You can wash your hands all you want, but it won't wipe this dirt away...salts... that's what I need a homemade handscrub.

I wonder what the Mongolian equivelant of a hot bubble bath with aroma therapy salts, lighted scented candles and lavender and chamomile tea at hand is. I think I'll ask my teachers tomorrow what that is here. Anyway, that's what I'll have tonight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i like to call ger living (especially if you use coal) "The Mongolian Pedicure"

Josh
PCV M20 Mongolia