Monday, March 28, 2011

What I'd do for spring...

My mom sent me a sleeping bag liner that has saved my life. Our sleeping bags are really good sleeping bags (claim to be warm up to -15), but I'm a naturally cold person so one sleeping bag at 20 degrees is just not enough. The sleeping bag liner has done wonders!...until I thought it was warm enough to not use it anymore. I tried to convince myself that it's only getting 30 degrees in our ger at night, it's not THAT cold. It should be spring weather, warming up, right?

Nah, the other night I was awake through most of the night because my feet were ice cold and they just wouldn't warm up. I was thinking about all the nuisances that warmer weather brings such as dogs barking the ENTIRE night, spiders and beetles and flies in the ger, sweating, etc. and how I'd take all those bothers and hug them right now.

I'll never complain about the heat again. I promise.

So I've been hibernating all winter...really, it's true. My school is literally a 2 minute walk from my ger (if that even) and all winter long I have been a robot/zombie waking up, trekking to school with my hood on and head down, doing my thing, and trekking back home, where I was still a zombie-slave to imediately making a fire, thawing out a bit, making dinner (which takes a couple hours) then folding myself back up in my sleeping back for another 12 hours of warmth. (Justin was the strong one, grocery shopping every week and running errands.) It was kind of miserable, now that I think about it. But 3 days ago I had an awakening. And I feel free! I went grocery shopping yesterday and was chipper. I had a nice conversation with the ladies at the market and I felt rejuvenated. Since Justin's been the one getting the groceries we haven't had a lot of fruit in our diet (not that there is much selection...just clementines or apples), but yesterday when I came home with my bag of goodies it was like christmas! I bought some yogurt (I was scared to try, because it was already expired, but I needed it so badly), raisins and an asian pear that Justin and I shared (they are kinda expensive to buy more than one at a time). This is a good time to be in Mongolia!

3 comments:

Christina said...

This is going to sound a little strange, but I feel for you here in Ecuador. Let me explain! I just visited my future permanent site but it happens to be the highest new site in the country at 10,000 feet plus above sea level. So during the day it's not so bad, but at night it's ice cold. I had such a hard time sleeping during that week, dressed in many sweaters, socks and blankets and still shivering. If you have any advice... I'd love to hear it! :) Stay warm!

Ashlie Newberry said...

Oh man, and I envy you! That's pretty high, though-- 10,000 ft+! I bet it's beautiful! You could make rice bags and heat them up before going to bed...use an old sock and fill it with rice, then sew the open end up and pop it in the microwave, or set it next to your heater/oven/stove (I don't know which sources you have) for a while to warm it up. Other than that I layer my feet with lots of socks and find them a warm spot somewhere located on my hubby.

Christina said...

Heh thank you, but there are no microwaves or heaters where I am :( I wish I had A heater... the stove may work but we'll see!