Sunday, March 6, 2011

Ready in 5 Hours- A Mexican Food Recipe

A peak inside Dinner with the Newberrys:

We had Mexican night on Thursday night. It was scrumptious! If you follow our "Ready in 5 hours" recipe your tummy will be a happy tummy, too! We're not boasting it will be ready in 45 mins, and I laugh (actually, I cry) when I remember those nights in the States making those "20 Min Meals" successfully. Nope, this was 5 hours...Wanna know our secret??? We have one burner. Dinner preparation began at 4pm and we sat down to eat at about 9:30. It was all worth it though. We had black beans (they were dried beans we had to soak and boil), rice (not minute rice...20 min rice), chicken fajitas (frozen chicken drumsticks we had to boil/thaw then cut the meat off), pico de gallo, and tortillas....all of this homemade.

The funny thing is that Justin and I labored over this meal not really thinking a thing about how lengthy the process was. But when we sat down at 9:30pm I thought about if we were in the states how the whole dinner making process would go: beans in a crock pot before you leave for work, 4 large burners for boiling rice, chicken, sautéing, and making tortillas...All of that could be going on at the same time! We would have had that same laborious dinner in about 45 mins. Which somewhat depressed me, but..

Eh, what else are we going to do with our evenings?

2 comments:

Rhett and Dora said...

Good things always come to those who wait! I love mexican food and it is so tasty when it is homemade. Sounds like a great way to spend your evenings. I love cooking with Rhett. We used to cook together all the time before this whole dr. thing started. Now, I have 1 very eager little girl to help me. Any time she hears me getting out the kitchen aid a chair is scooted across the kitchen floor and is immediately beside me waiting to help. Enjoy it! :)

mom said...

Kudos to you for your patience ! I would have been eating as I went along !