Monday, December 20, 2010

What is American Traditional Clothing?

Tonight one of my students came over to my ger to talk. She wanted to practice her speaking skills because soon she will have a speaking exam. I asked her basic questions, 'What's your name, How old are you, What is your favorite subject', etc. Then we just got to talking about other things. She asked me if I owned Mongolian traditional clothing (a dell) and I said yes. Then she asked what American traditional clothing looked like. I was stumped. Then Justin (who was making dinner in the background) yelled 'blue jeans!'. It is true. We've been wearing those comfy second layer of skin for a long time. Then she asked about American traditional food. Hot dogs? Hamburgers? Meetgui (I don't know).

The countdown for Christmas is here. Mandalgovi will have a humble get together at the Newberry Ger. 2 out of 5 of us are missing (1 of our sitemates is in UB working--bummer-- and the other is in the States on Medical leave--also bummer). I am excited to roast some chicken, mash some potatoes and bake a pie!



Now, there are actually 2 countdowns going on. One is to the best Holiday ever (Christmas-- only 5 more days) and the other is for a day I am dreading. Shin Jil (6 more days). I know I probably offended a great deal of people but I am just not looking forward to this party. Shin Jil (meaning New Year) is just what you think it is, except in Mongolia they decorate New Year's with Christmas decorations-- even Santa has an appearance (but it's nothing at all like Christmas, so it's kinda just there to mock you). Each organization puts on a huge Shin Jil party and I've heard they can last up until 6am the next morning. It is drinking vodka, dancing, drinking more vodka and dancing some more. Now, to some this sounds like a dream come true, but there are two things you need to know about me: I don't drink AND I don't dance. I'm lame. I know. So why am I even going to this party? 1)I do want to go. I want to experience new things and live a little, I can't stay shut up in my ger all the time. 2) There are 3 major holidays in Mongolia and this is one of them. If I didn't participate it would be disrespectful-- and like #1 said, I do want to go. 3) This goes along with #1, but I can't say I've experienced Mongolia and lived like the locals if I don't celebrate Shin Jil with them. And 4) I am in total obligation.

This Shin Jil party that I am going to is put on by my school. Spouses/family aren't invited to organization parties like they are in the states. Therefore, Justin cannot go with me. If you know me, you know I'm a very shy person without my hubby. But I'll survive. This party is on December 26th. Expect an update by December 27th.

For now, I am keeping it out of my mind and focusing on Christmas! I will be watching A Muppet's Christmas Carol and wishing I was singing the songs along with my family at home (one of our crazy traditions).

No comments: