Saturday, December 11, 2010

Missing Home




Life isn't always sunny and warm. In fact, for the past several days it has been the exact opposite. Cold and dark. We are averaging only about 8 hours of full daylight (not to mention I live in a ger without any windows, so when the sun's not shining my ger is a very, very dark place) and the temperatures dip into the negatives daily now (not counting the windchill...and there is always wind). Anyway, I could go on with the woes of my life. But there is no point in doing that. The holiday season has arrived and there is much to be thankful for! One thing I am ecstatic about is the Peace Corps Volunteer that lived in our ger before us left us a Christmas tree!! It is stored in a closet at my school, so you better believe that on Monday afternoon I will be carrying a box that has "christmas" handwritten on the side! Justin and I made a great purchase at the Black Market in Ulaanbaatar (where we purchased our hats and his coat)...we bought a silver tinsel garland. It is currently draped over our 'closet'. Christmas music has constantly been playing in the background of our home. Christmas movies are beginning to be watched. And best of all (my favorite anyway) the baking has begun-- well, it never ended, but the 'Christmas' baking has begun. Despite all this I miss home. I am so very lucky to have Justin here with me. Peace Corps Volunteers are very strong people, you have to be. But I have it easy because I was able to take my best friend with me through this crazy journey.

No comments: