Monday, December 27, 2010

Shin Jil



I was dreading this party for so long. I was constantly thinking of excuses I could give to get out of going. But, I went....and I had a WONDERFUL time! It was amazing! It wasn't close to what I thought it would be. Yes, there was vodka going around the entire time and a whole lot of dancing--but no pressure involved. I love dancing the Mongolian waltz! I danced with several people, who were kind enough to teach me as we went. Justin and I learned how to Mongolian Waltz this summer, but I have since forgotten. It was so easy to just let your partner twirl you around in all of those circles and glide along the floor. I had so much fun. I don't think I've laughed so much without Americans present. It was a good thing.

We had the party in the school gym. My teachers let me know that normally you would have a Shin Jil party at a restaurant (fancier), but we have so many teachers that it was less expensive to host it ourselves. We had a tasty spread of food: apples, oranges, tomatoes, candy, dried fruit, juices, sausage, etc. Then our main course came out: CHICKEN! (another thing I was dreading was having to eat mutton-- as is normal at Mongolian gatherings). Then out came the dessert of ice cream and red berries. It was delicious. The tag on the outside says 'Merry Christmas 2011' but inside it says Happy New Year in Mongolian (one in the same).


We toasted the new year, and fireworks were set off inside, and then the dance began!
I took a picture of a teacher (who was the designated drink pourer)giving drinks to everyone. Notice how he touches his elbow while he gives the drink--a Mongolian tradition to show respect when you are giving (and receiving) a gift.





This is a picture of me and my hashaa mom (my neighbor). She is also my training manager at school. Her name is Oyuna.


I really had a great time and am so happy that I went. I feel like I got to know a lot of the teachers better and it was important for them to see that I am having a great time with them (I was!). I wish I could be Mongolian waltzing right now--spinning around on my ger floor. :) Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Rhett and Dora said...

Looks like you had a great Christmas/New year! You look fabulous in your red dress! "Lady is red is dancing with me....cheek to cheek." hehehe....you should have danced with Justin to that song. JK... Here's to finding lots of yummy chicken and pepsi in 2011!