Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Unrecognizable

Last night, when I got home from school, I started taking off my boots, then my fluffy socks, then my knee socks and when I got to my main socks I saw that not only did I have mismatched socks on, but one was inside out. Wait-- it gets better (or worse). Not only did I wear mismatched, inside out socks all day...but for 3. There. I said it. 3 days. I've worn the same socks, inside out and mismatched for 3 days. (It's been so cold that you wouldn't want to take your socks off!) Coming to this realization made me run for my journal and open it up. I read my last several entries, then read the very beginning of my journal which was while we were still in America. I was looking for something. I was wondering when I started to become who I am today. No way, in America, would I wear mismatched socks. No way, in America, would I have not noticed that one was inside out while the other was worn correctly. And NO WAY, in America, would I have gone 3 days without changing my socks. Do you want to know the best part? Day 4. Yep. Today, I wore my mismatched, inside out dirty socks for a 4th and final day. OMG, I was such a neat-freak in America that if, by chance, I had put one sock on inside out I would have IMMEDIATELY changed it because of how much it would have bugged me just to know that one sock is inside out and one is not.

So, there I am on my bed reading my journal, then glancing around my ger to see what else was out of my character. I have changed. Now, to add to this, I received an amazing package today from my uncle in England. Inside the package was a picture of me and my husband at my cousin's wedding (along with many other great things!). My hair was extremely short, but well kept...and I had highlights! My make up was done beautifully. I hardly recognized myself. I don't know who she is anymore. She isn't me. Not at this time in my life anyway. Being here has definitely made me a stronger person. Mongolians live a hard life. Yet, they are so happy. Today I went to a store and the shopkeeper was singing a well know Mongolian song. Then in walks another man who immediately starts joining the shopkeeper in song. It was amazing to see. You don't do that in America.

Maybe when I go back to the states I will try being my old me again. But I know I will forget to flush the toilet at times, or I will laugh at the ease of twisting on a faucet and magically getting hot, drinkable water out of the tap-- so I won't be my old me completely, a part of Mongolia will be with me and I want to take it home with me.

But PLEASE, when I come home, if you see me wearing the same socks day in and day out TELL me to change my socks! Geez. I won't have that in the states!

4 comments:

Rhett and Dora said...

You still look beautiful! Rhett said, when he got off of his mission, that it is good for everyone to go to a 3rd world country so they appreciate what we have here in America. I don't know how it could make you any better but somehow it will. You were already such a sweet girl. "Now that I'm a woman...everything has changed!" Name that movie!
Give up....The Last Unicorn. hehehe! I don't know if you watched that as much as we did when we were little. Kind of a creepy cartoon. Oh, I am rambling. Hope you have fuel and stay warm. Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I hope this isn’t creepy, but I stumbled upon this blog and had to comment. I’m a PCV in Ukraine and had almost this exact same moment several months ago, but in reverse. I was putting on makeup, perfume, jewelry and stilettos for a ten minute run to the bazzar for butter. I’d been at home all day and would be home all day after that . . . no need for makeup, except that in Ukraine you must be dressed in your best all the time. High heels in a mountain town with dirt roads and lots of ice are ridiculous, and yet I wear them almost every day. Peace Corps – changing you in ways you never expected :-)

Scott Burt said...

Ah, kindred spirits. Ashlee and I enjoy following you guys on your blog. Keep up the good work!

Ashlie Newberry said...

Dora-- Of course I remember watching that! And Rhett is right. My perspective of many things have changed since being here. I know I will be a different person when I return (I already think I am different).

Thanks for the comments everyone! Scott-- I check your blog out every once in a while and also enjoy it very much!