Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Baby, It's Cold Outside.

I really can't stay
(but baby it's cold outside)
I've got to go away
(but baby it's cold outside)
This evening has been
(been hoping that you'd drop in)
So very nice
(I'll hold your hands, they're just like ice)
My mother will start worry
(beautiful, what’s your hurry)
My father will be pacing the floor
(listen to the fireplace roar)
So really I'd better scurry...

Baby, it's cold outside!


The Christmas Season cannot officially begin in the Newberry home until after Thanksgiving (even right after Thanksgiving dinner is considered cheating to Justin)-- Justin won't allow it. I see his point, but I yearn for those Christmas tunes. They take me back to a magical time when I was 5 and naive. My mind was open to so many things, and I was in a safe haven--nothing to worry about and everything to explore. I think my life is still as adventurous, but I do take caution a little more than I'd like to.

Anyway, I brought Christmas into our ger a little early this year. I was sitting at our desk/vanity creating Thanksgiving cards to give to my teachers. I had my iTunes playing in the background (Norah Jones, I love her), chicken roasting in the oven, and a glorious apple scented candle that my sisters sent to me in a package (THANK YOU!). Justin was still at school, so I had the ger to myself-- all 375 sq feet. Then all of a sudden the beautiful sound of Josh Groban's voice in 'Silent Night' started melting my heart. Usually if this happened (a Christmas song ventured its way into my iTunes playlist) I would immediately stop it and switch songs...You don't want to ruin the magic of the Christmas Season before its time! But, this instance, I let it slide. It's close enough, isn't it? My ger was warm and cozy, I was creating holiday cards in the spirit of giving. Silent Night chose the best moment to pop up on my iTunes. It was magical.


Then, I heard Justin's footsteps in the sand outside our ger and I quickly changed it back to Norah. Only 2 more days and I'm safe to listen to it all I want!

Well, the low temperature tonight is -11. It was a pretty rough walk home from school this evening. I noticed at about 5:30pm (when most of the teachers start to leave) that they were bundling up quite sufficiently (even more so than usual). They did so almost as if it were an art. I was mesmerized at how skillful they were with a scarf: wrap around the neck once, then the head, then leave enough just under your chin so you can pull it up over your nose once you're outside in the blistering wind. (And yes, the wind is blistering. While Justin and I were at the showers today he saw a child with 'rosy red' cheeks and commented on how red they were. The poor kid's cheeks weren't rosy from the heat of the shower, but were blistered and wind chapped. It's brutal out there.) I'm sure I will learn plenty from the masters for winter has yet to officially begin.

Justin and I will leave to the big city (Ulaanbaatar) in 2 days (Friday morning). Peace Corps has a nice Thanksgiving potluck dinner for any and all PCVs who decide to travel that way. Of course we're going! There will be turkey!! Also all of our friends will be there--whom we consider family. We went through a lot this summer during our Training, and a handful of them Justin and I are very close with. It will be exciting to see these amazing people again!

After our Thanksgiving weekend, Peace Corps also has a 1 week training for all Teachers. So Justin and I will be away from home for a little over a week. We've already been advised to get rid of all liquids in our ger. Anything we want to save needs to be put in the fridge (lotions, contact solution, nail polish, shaving cream, shampoos, etc) or else we will be coming home to frozen supplies. Justin and I have already seen ice creep its way into our ger in our water buckets...How frightening.

Well, here's an early Happy Thanksgiving from us to you! Cahan amraray!

1 comment:

Darcy said...

I love Zooey Deschanel's version of that song! I like all the versions but I really really like hers! Hope you guys are doing well and surviving the freezing temps. You're definitely not in TX anymore...but you knew that already :)