Friday, September 3, 2010

Meet the neighbors…

(Typed August 30th, 2010)
Since Justin and I live in a Ger, we share a yard (Khashaa) with the landlord. A Khashaa is a fenced in yard (ours is about ½ an acre). Our “landlords” are called our Khashaa Mom (“Khashaa Eej” in Mongolian) and Khashaa Dad (“Khashaa Ow” in Mongolian). Our Khashaa parents are very nice people. They are empty-nesters; my mom is a Training Manager at my school, and my dad is PE Coach at another school. Gers also do not have running water, but our Kashaa family’s house does have running water, so we must fetch water almost daily (this is Justin’s chore).

Well tonight, after much nagging, Justin went to get water and did not come back for some time. I thought I’d be nice and go over to our Khashaa parent’s house and try to bail him out. That’s not what happened. I walked in and saw he was sitting at the dinner table with a bowl of rice and sheep innards in front of him (this made me laugh inside!). Thankfully I let it be known very early that I don’t eat meat (for that very reason: ANY part of an animal could be fed to you at any time). But I failed at bailing him out. We were invited to the living room, offered candy, stumbled through a semi coherent Mongolian conversation, then shown a couple hundred pictures. Then somehow we’re convinced to come back over at 9pm to help with computer data entry?? We didn’t get home until about 10:45 at night.

No comments: