Saturday, September 18, 2010

Children's Concert (Typed Sept 17th)

Today was such a great day! Not only is it Friday, but everyone has just been so nice and friendly. After school I had to walk across town to the ATM. I was greeted by several older Mongolians (usually I just get stares and *maybe* a smile, mostly just strain-your-neck-stares), waves from children, and Hello's from my students. Feeling welcomed is just such a nice feeling when you are the outsider and minority. All the while, I was thinking 'I REALLY need to get better at Mongolian, so I can show these people that I really do care about them'. They try so hard to speak English, so it makes it easy for me not to speak Mongolian to them--- but I can't afford to lose my Mongolian.

I made it to the ATM and there was only one person in line. I stood behind her and quickly a line of several people formed behind me. Then one woman behind me handed the person at the ATM her card, told her her security code and told her how much to take out. Then another woman passed her card to the lady at the ATM, gave her her security code and told her how much to take out. My high from all of the friendly people outside of the ATM quickly dissolved. But I didn't want this to discourage me. Mongolians have no concept of lining up, whatsoever. AND because I am a minority I usually get served last. Justin and I got a lot of this at the bank this summer. It is VERY frustrating, but what can we do? Back at the ATM-- I shrugged it off, waited for the last person to get her money out, then got my own and went my way. It is a beautifully sunny autumn day here. My students were still walking home from school and several called my name 'Ashlie Teacher, Ashlie Teacher! Hello!'.

Justin and I had the opportunity to attend a children's concert tonight at the local theatre ('TEATP' in Mongolian) It was amazing! They were all so cute and very prepared. Here are some videos from tonight:


The Teatp:



Mongolian Throat Singing:


Mongolian Morin Khuur (Mongolian Violin-ish):


Mongolian Long Singing "Urtiin Duu"


BTW, it did take me longer than 24 hours to upload these THREE videos. LONGER THAN 24 HOURS! That's how slow our connection is. I've had my computer on the entire time. But it is finally finished. It is 1:30am, so goodnight!

2 comments:

5boystokiss said...

Hi,
I am related to Stephanie Barker (Kunzler). She is from Texarkana. She gave me a link to your blog. My family has signed up to go to Ulaanbaatar through my husbands work. I don't know if we are going yet. I hope so, as I am an adventurer by nature. Would you be interested in corresponding with me, and answering some questions I have about the country. If so, my email is erika.beaut@gmail.com
Thanks,
Erika

Mom said...

Thank you for sharing those videos Ashlie,they are precious ! That last one was interesting,what was it about ?